Expiration dates printed on the packaging of foods at the supermarket are not always accurate representations of a food’s shelf life. These labels actually cause millions of pounds of food to be wasted every year as not many people actually understand what expiration dates really mean.
Here are 5 examples of food that you can safely eat past their expiration date:
- Like many other food products, cereals have a shelf life beyond its expiration date printed on their boxes. If stored properly – that is, in a cool, dry place – cereal can last for months after the sell-by date. If you’re at the store and you see your favourite cereal brand on sale, make sure you stock up fast! It might be a bit stale, but it can be eaten for at least another six more months.
- Check out Grub Cycle’s selection of cereals here!
- Ever seen a whitish coating on the surface of your chocolate and think it’s expired? The white film is actually called “chocolate bloom” and it can be safe to consume. Just make sure that the chocolates are stored in a cool place!
- Check out our selection of chocolates (such as Kit Kat, M&M’s and Ferrero Rocher) here!
3. Canned goods
- Have you ever wondered why people in apocalypse movies have their food storage filled with canned goods? It’s because canned goods don’t expire for year after the expiration date! Since oxygen doesn’t get into the cans, bacteria can’t grow in them. For best results, they should probably be kept in a cooler, dryer and darker part of your kitchen.
- Just in case you need to stock up.. Here’s Ayamas Kitchen Sardines in Tomato Sauce for only RM6.00 that expires on 16-Jun-2019!
4. Soft drinks
- Did you know that most soft drinks have a best before rather than an expiry date printed on them? That’s because carbonated drinks can be consumed even after this date as they are formulated with additives in order to last longer.
- The taste might not be of peak quality (hence, the ‘best before’ date) but they’re still consumable if stored properly! Food scientists estimate that those with regular sugar content can safely be consumed up to 6 months after their best before date whilst diet soda can last up to 4 months.
- Feeling thirsty? Check out what canned drinks we have for you here!